In memory of Sir Terry Pratchett, we are putting together an anthology of short stories to raise money for one of his favourite charities. If you are an author (or suspect you have the makings of one!) and are one of the millions of readers out there who has been touched in some way by the writings of Sir Terry, then read on.
We have reached out to Alzheimer’s Research UK, offering to put together a fan tribute anthology on the theme of Memory. The book will be dedicated to Sir Terry Pratchett, with all proceedings going to the charity. They were thrilled and have offered their support.
If you’re up to the challenge, here are the details:
Short Story Guidelines
- The story should follow the theme of Memory
- The story should be between 3,000 and 8,000 words
- Humorous writing is preferred, given the nature of Sir Terry’s work
- The genre can be any flavour of fiction that tickles your fancy.
Send your initial submission to WeLikeThemShort (at) gmail (dot) com between April 25 and May 31. One submission is permitted per author. If your submission is accepted, we will contact you and ask for your complete story text, with a deadline of June 30. Your initial submission should include:
- A brief author biography
- A short synopsis (no more than two lines) of what you will write about
- A writing sample: up to 500 words of your original published or unpublished work.
Legal Terms and Payment
- All profits will go towards Alzheimer’s Research UK
- Authors are not expected to contribute to the publishing costs
- Authors will receive an eBook of the full anthology, and may purchase up to four printed copies of the book at cost price (plus shipping)
- The costs of final editing and artwork will be covered by the organisers. Note that final short stories are expected to be in a suitably publish-ready state, and the organisers reserve the right to dismiss or return works if they do not meet this requirement
- Authors retain the right to be recognised as creators of their work.